Sunday, August 26, 2007

The Wedding!

This cleary should have been written before the Otavalo update, but that didn't happen.

Last Thursday evening, Marcelo and Gabriela were married! It was a small ceremony with just close family and friends, and random foreign-exchange student! Alexander, the oldest child, and family are living in Canada and couldn't make it to the wedding, but Melo brought his laptop with webcam and wireless internet, so it was just like she was there! The laptop was on the table during the whole ceremony, and we passed it around during the reception so everyone could say hello. Technology at its best! The actual vows/signing of certificates lasted about 20 minutes, and the ceremony was performed by a woman. Neato. After that, there was much drinking of champagne and eat and dancing. I had exams and presentations the next day, so I left by about 11, but I had a great time. Gabi's brother asked me to dance, or rather, his mother asked for him. He was so nervous his hands were shaking during the first song, but I think I finally said or did something silly enough that he relaxed and started to enjoy himself. I also got to dance with Papa Marcelo... what a hoot. He's the ultimate romantic, and looooves to sing and dance. He was impressed, I think mostly because I have some rhythm, and said that he's determined to turn me into a dancin' fool by the time I leave. No argument here. F-u-n.

There are a few pictures up under the main Ecuador sub-folder on my photobucket site, but very few. My camera is on the fritz... I'm going to try to get some of the photos that Lupe took so I can have a better record of the event. In the end, they were married, full of good food and champagne, and Lupe was delighted that her son was finally living with his wife, instead of just his girlfriend. I got an earfull the other night about how stressful it was for her, because she strongly believes in separate households before marriage.

That's all fer now...

2 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Larkin,
We love to follow your adventures. We check up on whats new often, but not a lot of time to say 'Hi". Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed. We wish you a great experience.
Luv,
Pryz & Susan

Anonymous said...

I'll bet Lupe and Linda have similar feelings along those lines, and can imagine the peace Lupe must now be feeling......