Tuesday, September 4, 2007

El Parque Metropolitano

I'll skip Saturday, because it was a visit to the doctor followed by a long date with my bed. I did watch a great movie... Pay it Forward. It made me want to start my service learning project IMMEDIATELY.

Sunday was much better! We had lots of family over for lunch, because it was Aunt Gladys' birthday. I got to know my beautiful cousin Santiago a bit better, and we had some gooooood home cookin'. My favorite soup thus far is crema de spinaca con champigniones y un papa, or cream of spinach soup with mushrooms and a cooked potato. We mix avocado in with it, and the potato adds just enough texture to be delicious! I'm going to make sure to get that recipe.

To burn off those creamy calories, Anyel and I really wanted to get out of the city for a couple hours to breathe fresh air and get a good walk. We remembered that the eastern edge of the city is lined by a beautiful park with miles of trees, so we decided to try it out. It's a good mile+ walk uphill from Anyel's house, but soooo worth it. It's like walking through an ancient orchard, and the trees continue as far as you can see. It's on a hill, so the views are always changing and there are beautiful, dramatic pathways. There is some very interesting artwork, and we found a couple of neat, old, abandoned buildings covered in grafiti. I can't wait to go back for a picnic and pictures. If you get to the far side you can see the whole valley of Cumbaya, and at the other side you can see all of Quito. I kept marveling with Anyel at how different it felt to be in nature, knowing we were still in Quito. It was a great escape from the pollution and bustle of the city. It's much cleaner and there are fewer people than in the city parks. I think it's my new favorite place in Quito.

We returned from the park to find there were MORE people at the house--lots of friends I'd never met--so Anyel and I ate in the kitchen with the wee ones and the newly married Gaby and Melo. The kiddies were playing in my room, because that's where the toy stash is located, so I worked a puzzle with some precious little girls. I have no idea if they're related, friends, or maybe just kids off the street, but they were FUN. One little girl would answer every question with "No sé," or "I don't know," but she'd be quick to correct me when I supposed something wrong. I asked her her age, she didn't know, but when I said I thought she was three she said, "¡No! Tengo cuatro años!" Funny. I'm excited to play with kids again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the "No, tengo quatro anos?" And now I must try to find out about that wonderful park you described! Good way to salvage something from the "weekend of ailments".