Thursday, September 6, 2007

Fantastic Day of Classes

Today was MUCH better in my classes. They haven't been at all bad, but I've felt very shunned by the "native" students. TODAY, I made an extra effort to be friendly and ask questions, and I ended up in a great group for small discussion. The same young woman who physically blocked me out of the discussion on Tuesday offered me a piece of gum, said I spoke spanish quite well, and actually laughed at a few of my jokes today! She and I and another guy worked to come up with a definition of the enlightenment, and then another for "nation," and we had a really good time. I left feeling like I might make some friends here. Cool. I think it has a lot to do with how fantastic my professor is, too, because she forces us to work together, and makes sure that everybody participates at some point in the class. I'm a big nerd, but for me, there's nothing better than an inspiring professor! She winked at me today, because I asked a question about whether or not there was an englightenment for women... I would. She was thrilled. I'm a nerd.

After class I ran into one of Diana's friends, Patricia, and she invited me to a weekly bible study at another friend's house. She explained that it's pretty rare to find Christians who don't attend the Catholic church, and she and her friends like to just talk and bounce ideas off of each other... and eat good food! I think it would be very interesting to have those kinds of conversations in spanish, and I think I'll try it out. Another opportunity to meet people, and in a totally different setting.

I had a little panic moment yesterday when I realized I have just over 3 months left here, so I decided I'd better get on it! I want to do SOMETHING different every weekend, and I really want to meet people all over the city. I'm doing a lot better with initiating and carrying on conversations, especially with Diana and Lupe. Lupe and I had a good long talk yesterday in the car, and I was able to explain a whole lot of what I was feeling from my service learning. I also found out that my history professor and Lupe worked together on a project a few years ago. Mundo pequeño. I asked Sabrina if she remembered Lupe, and she said, "¡Por supuesto! Ella es una persona muy bonita. Buena gente." Yep, I'm a nerd. I'm gonna go clean the dirt off my nose.

Tomorrow, Laura and Anyel and I are going to Papallacta, which is a place with natural hot springs. We might stay the night and come back Saturday morning, because Saturday is Laura's host mother's birthday. Tonight, I think we might bake some banana bread to take on the bus tomorrow. Mmm mmm mmm...

There are new pictures of El Parque Metropolitano on my photobucket site. It's worth a peek.

No comments: