Tuesday, October 2, 2007

An Old Friend, and an A+

In middle school challenge (Gifted and Talented, or TaG in Oregon) I frequently had a fantastic substitute teacher, Mr. Muhr. He had a great sense of humor, and I remember that he wrote very, very well. His notes about the day's classes turned into publishable stories, and we always demanded that he read them to us before giving them to the teacher. To be mentioned in his report was like making it big, and we loved to joke and tease with him. When our teacher got another position at Lewis and Clark, he filled the permanent spot. Long story short, I will never forget him, and it turns out he hasn't quite forgotten me. He has a facebook account, and we're officially "friends" on facebook. It's been really fun the last few days to find out what he is and has been doing, and to remember our days in the GT room at Lowell Scott. He's teaching literature at Nampa Christian, writing a trivia piece for 3 newspapers, driving a charter bus, and limiting himself to one hour a week at the library per an addiction to books and poor time management. I stumbled upon his blog: ericmuhr.blogspot.com and was quite pleased to see that he is still thinking and writing interesting things. I'm hoping to have lunch or something along those lines when I return to Boise. Here's an excerpt from one of my favorite entries:

"Only two kinds of people make it into the history books.

The first is a well-known type. It's the individual with a gift, the person who finds something worth doing and does it better than it's ever been done. (...)

The second type, however, is the person who sees where others are going and decides from conscience or context to head in a completely different direction. (...)

Of these two types, the first is often better known, celebrated in popular culture, showered with gifts, idolized for its ability. And there are hundreds of millions who want nothing more than to set such a record. A handful may even succeed.

In spite of its relative anonymity, however, it is the second type that makes a difference.

Unfortunately, the gate is small, and the way is narrow, and few are those that find it."

Next topic... I got my first history paper back today with lots of comments, smiley faces, counter arguments, and a 19.5/20!!! Where's Mom to pat me on the back and magnet my paper to the fridge?! I hope "magnet" is a verb. So far, so good. I just might be getting the hang of this spanish deal after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I check your blog everyday, just in case you've had a new commentable experience - good or bad! Usually I can count on something Mondays, but today's was a special find. I remember Eric Muhr very well, but didn't know he wrote such memorable reports on his subbing experiences. He has an interesting take on history makers, too - worth thinking over. And, wow! 19.5 out of 20 on first history paper! Buenisimo!

Kim said...

Double that buenisimo!

I worked with handicapped kids when I was in college, thinking I might want to be part of something like the Special Olympics. It was really tough, you're just getting to know who you are and you're in a situation that demands a great deal of maturity. It sounds like you are doing you're best and having some good moments...success!