Maria was just not herself today--she wanted to pinch and punch every innocent stranger that passed through the park, and I had no success trying to persuade her to focus on anything but her grumpy mood. She ran up to two men walking across the basketball court and started swinging her fists at the thinner of the two. He handled it very well--he gently grabbed her arms and started smiling and talking with her. I was only a few steps behind her, so apologized and thanked him for being so kind with her. She softened up a bit and eventually hugged him as we started to make small talk. They asked how old she is, how I ended up working with her, what the other children are like... the usual, but it was very much appreciated after a rough morning. But then the inevitable happened, and they started to realize that her friendly conversing is actually just parroting, she frequently wears her shoes on the wrong feet, she probably doesn't brush her teeth, and her pants are much too big for her fragile frame. They started to make fun of her, and then Teresita who was close by. I tried to politely say my goodbyes and guide her away, but she clung to this man and did not appear to be interested in leaving their cruel joking. I finally had to grab her around the waist and pull her away despite her "NO" and kicking legs. In the process her pants had started to fall down and I heard them laughing and could practically feel them pointing at the holes in her underpants. Throughout the conversation that had gotten my name, and as I carried her away the focus of their bullying turned to me. "Enamorada, regresaremos para tomar cervezas contigo. No te preocupes, podemos salir sin ella y todo serĂ¡ bien. Te cuidaremos, bella. Esta noche vamos a farrear y tomar mucha cerveza, amor. Larkin, nos vemos pronto, ¿no?" "Girlfriend, we'll come back to drink beer with you. Don't worry, we can leave without her and everything will be alright. We'll take care of you, beautiful. Tonight we'll party and drink a lot of beer, love. Larkin, we'll see each other soon, right?"
Why does it have to be like that? Or, does it have to be like that?
I hope they do come back, and I hope Maria gives each of them a swift kick in the pants or a little forearm shiver. ;) That's my girl!
On a totally different note and as a way of putting today's embarrassment out of my mind, I cannot wait to leave for Cuenca tomorrow! 5:30am will come soon enough, I'm sure, but I'm very excited. Should be a great place for pictures and lots of culture.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
No te preocupes, hija. Los hombres no conocen lo que hacen. Es totalmente la cultura hablando. Pobrecitos. Que lastima que no saben mejor. Creo que es tanto peor cuando hay mas que uno.
Hey Larkin! So good to finally get here. I've been meaning to do so since you mentioned this blog in the last email.
I'm glad to hear you are well, and having what sounds like one heck of a great learning and living experience. From reading a few of your posts it sounds like you have had to encounter some rather unpleasant and disturbing situations. I'm sorry you've had to deal with that, and I very much want you to be safe, and at the same time I am so proud of you, and so happy to hear and feel the courage, the strength, the learning in your voice.
Most of all, you have such wonderful ethos, and the compassion in your heart shines through so brilliantly.
I miss you. Come back safely and say hello.
All the best,
gassho,
Nacho
Perhaps you do not call it a "mission" but your presence alone is a gift to whoever you are with. Bless you for not needing an explicit "mission" to propel you in the right direction. You live your life, and that is enough. I can't wait to hear your accounts in person.
Post a Comment