Wednesday, November 21, 2007

And warm rolls

I am absolutely not counting, but yesterday was the one month mark. I remember very clearly my first one month mark, that being after my first month here. This is a totally different feeling, knowing that I have less than one month left. But how sweet it is that although I will be leaving one of the best experiences of my short life, I will be returning to all sorts of wonderful things: Mom and Dad, JD and Chrissy, the McCarthy group for Christmas, new babies, knitting in front of the fireplace while Mom works a crossword puzzle and Dad predicts "who dunnit" on CSI, New Year's Eve in McCall, snow (?), getting excited about having a house in Salem, and the comfort and familiarity of being in my true home in Boise, Idaho.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves... there is too much left to do! Today was my last official day at Mensajeros, but I plan to take them some banana bread next week to say my final goodbyes. It was strange walking away from the apartment, and I felt like the kids knew something was different, as well. Maria hugged me almost the entire time I was there, and Teresita was more gentle and caring with her touch than normal. I will never, ever forget those moments.

This afternoon, I'm headed to another soccer game, probably in the rain. Tomorrow, I present on the situation of orfans in Ecuador over the past 17 years. And tomorrow night, we feast as a group! Laura's on pie, Anyel's making her mom's green bean recipe, and the Larkinator made Grandma Janet's recipe for tender dinner rolls this morning.

Nothin' like warm rolls...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wowzers! You're making those rolls like a pro! I know just what your assigned task for Christmas breakfast will be, so keep those kneading fingers strong!