Our student-run hot spot on campus, the Bistro, is hiring for the spring semester. I filled out an application online last week and returned from the coast to an e-mail asking about an interview! After I talked to my big brother today on the phone, I called Willamette for a phone interview with two of the three managers and I left feeling pretty jazzed about it. Job or no job, I'm excited to be back on campus in the swing of things. The Bistro is a very popular place--great coffee, fresh-baked goodies, vegan and vegetarian options, diverse music tastes, ecclectic couches and artwork, and the perfect venue for student art, open mic nights, and a taste of WU culture. People who enter the Bistro are usually looking for a distraction from the not-so-fun parts of school, studying and responsibilities, so there's generally a jolly bunch of students and staff who are quick to enjoy a cup of warm goodness or a fresh chocolate chip cookie. I've gone to meet with professors, talk in spanish with the department tutors, feel guilty about eating a heavily-chipped chocolate chip cookie, play cribbage or connect four with friends, get my dose of Chai tea, or to just sit in the hubub and watch other people in place of thinking about my own life for a while. There are definitely Bistro "regulars" and inside jokes, and it becomes sort of an addicting atmosphere if one is not careful. In short, I would LOVE to work there, but more than anything I'm looking forward to that community and spirit again. It's probably not considered a Willamette tradition like the Star Tree lighting or getting "millstreamed" for your birthday, but it is just as deserving. Ahhh the Bistro.
I think I'll find out tonight if I pass or have to wait to re-apply for next year. SO, here's to coffee and good spirits! Send your wishes out into the universe for me, please!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wishes for you!
I still long for the days when my hair smelled of coffee beans even after I washed it, my fingers were permanently brown from coffee grinds, and I picked up 200 different conversations with friends from yesterday. There is nothing like pulling a 23 second shot with an inch of golden creme on the top or pouring a silky latte with a perfect Rosetta to please your guest.
You shall be blessed to be a blessing if you work there.
More wishes still...
Post a Comment