Sunday, February 24, 2008

Community, Chemawa, Camp, WOOHOO

I spent most of the weekend running around and thoroughly enjoying myself, and rather than ending that now with a must-read Shakespeare play, I'll share!

Our Racial Justice Movements course is full of amazing people, and we've decided to do class dinners periodically to get to know each other better and spend some time building up a community of anti-racist peers. Last weekend we had dinner at our house before the big birthday party, and this weekend we met at Jenne's. Personal pizzas, black bean soup, chips and salsa, a fruit salad, and lots of good company. So much fun! I've been avoiding the Guitar Hero cult, but I recently caved and have now discovered a dirty little pleasure. (google it)

Saturday morning I woke up to join what seemed like half the neighborhood for an early jog in the sunshine. I stopped at a bridge over the stream to stretch and "get centered" again. I could smell moss, see dew-covered cobwebs, and hear the neighbors' dogs sniffing around in the bushes while my muslces lengthened and my whole body loosened. The house was still quiet when I came home, so I took a quick shower, ate some cottage cheese and peaches for breakfast, and left it as I had found it. I gave a tour of the campus to a great group of visitors--their questions helped to remind me of all of the things I'd been forgetting on my last few tours. I had a pretty routine schpiel last year, but since going abroad I've forgotten about a lot of it. Much came back, due to good questions and experienced tour-ers. I ran home for some tomato soup and grilled cheese on homemade bread before I jumped in the truck to drive to Chemawa. I spent the early afternoon working at a fry bread stand with Chemawa students at their Birthday Pow Wow. I didn't actually make it into the Pow Wow, but I met some great new people and laughed a lot. I'm excited for Willamette's Pow Wow in a few weeks, which normally draws upwards of 2,000 people to the gym.

After thaaat, I drove to Portland to meet Eric. Macaroni and cheese at the Montage Restaurant, then coffee and reminiscing with Jordan. Nothin' like thoughtful, inspiring, wonderful friends. We're all headed back to camp this summer, and I can hardly wait! It's a good thing I love where I am and what I'm doing; I really might not be able to wait.

1 comment:

Secret Gardener said...

I love when reality is so enjoyable that you don't even need to dream up better things to do. I can't wait for camp, and yet I'm happy with things as they are, too. Such blessings!