Friday, February 1, 2008

Lark

This began as an effort to document my experience abroad, to somehow catalogue my daily happenings in a way that would both convey a bit of what I was living, and provide something to return to when I wanted to call upon some of the most incredible months of my young life. And now, I've returned from Ecuador, and I'm finding a sort of peace and comfort in blogging my thoughts away as they come into my consciousness. While much has remained the same, I am a changed person, and it would be virtually impossible to expect to jump right back into the Willamette bubble without a few hiccups. I have yet to put my finger on it, but something feels so different that I am aware of it beneath the surface all the time, poking me in the sides and demanding more attention than I am willing to sacrifice during a busy week. This thing, whatever it is, won't let me sleep tonight, so I sit awake thinking about my name. Lark.

noun
1. any of numerous, chiefly Old World oscine birds, of the family Alaudidae, characterized by an unusually long, straight hind claw, esp. the skylark, Alauda arvensis.
2. any of various similar birds of other families, as the meadowlark and titlark.

noun
1. a merry, carefree adventure; frolic; escapade.
2. innocent or good-natured mischief; a prank.
3. something extremely easy to accomplish, succeed in, or to obtain: That exam was a lark.
–verb (used without object)
4. to have fun; frolic; romp.
5. to behave mischievously; play pranks.
6. Fox Hunting. (of a rider) to take jumps unnecessarily: He tired his horse by larking on the way home.
[Origin: 1805–15; orig. uncert.]
—Related forms
larker, noun
lark·i·ness, lark·ish·ness, noun
lark·ing·ly, adverb
larkish, larky, adjective
lark·ish·ly, adverb
larksome, adjective

How cool is that? I think I'll try to use larkishness in a sentence tomorrow and see how it goes over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I favor 'larksome'! Had no idea of the possibilities.