Sunday, February 10, 2008

Wheat Germ

For dinner tonight, the ladies and I made split pea soup, curried lentils, a big green salad, and corn bread. I was in charge of soup (pretty easy with our organic split pea soup mix) and corn bread. The recipe called for 1/2 cup wheat germ. What's that?! I figured I'd substitute some wheat flour, you know, it has the word "wheat" in the name, it's sure to thicken up the rather runny mixture... What could go wrong? Our cornbread ended up with an interesting brown layer on top, and I must say it was not my proudest creation. Lathered with honey, definitely edible.

Here's what I learned about wheat germ:
it constitutes about 2.5% of the wheat plant
germ is short for germination and has nothing to do with bacteria
high in protein
high in Vitamin E (good for the cardio. system)
athletes and body builders use it as a supplement
can be substituted for small amounts of flour, but not the other way around


Life lessons at 555 16th street are happening allll the time.

3 comments:

Chika said...

Ahhh, the free substitution rule backfires... Here's my one tip - if you make a beef stew with beer (which is great) use a cheap one. If you overheat Guiness, it turns BITTER. And YOU turn bitter for spending 3 hours on a bad stew!

Anonymous said...

So, Chika is a disciple of TELFS too, I see. Excellent! Ma

Secret Gardener said...

When I was a little girl my grandma put wheat germ on my cereal. I always think of her when I see it listed in a recipe.

Honey makes many things edible. Save the bees!