Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Eating with iMovie

Below is a quick video I created in under an hour using iMovie, a handy-dandy feature of my new MacBook! I recorded the video with my webcam using Photobooth, then dragged the video to iMovie to start editing. I could also have recorded the video using iMovie. In the past, I've used a video camera and had to capture film onto my computer--much better quality of film, but a lot more time for such a simple project. Once I had arranged the clips, I imported a song from my iTunes for a little mood music, then recorded the voice-over using iMovie. There are much more complicated features available for transitions between clips, sound effects, cropping, overlaying, etc. I kept it pretty simple to give a basic preview. :)

I can definitely see myself using this in the classroom, especially since I have my own MacBook and can practice at home to become more comfortable with the features. I could record students sharing just about anything--poetry, memoirs, short stories, role plays, or even just saying their names into the video camera on the first day of school so we can all learn each other's names. I'd like to turn that into an assignment, so it would be fun to post something on a blog or a website that students could watch to "study" names. HECK, I could do that to help them study anything! We could do roots flashcards... I could show them a card, give some think/wait time, and then reveal the other side. I bet that would get more students to study!

Anyway, here's the flick. Warning: not intended for a queezy audience.

1 comment:

momu said...

Love the video. I'm glad it turned out well.
--Arilla Utley