Thursday, August 16, 2007

Another wedding!

I'm getting married! His name is José and we met last weekend at the bar...

Yeah, right. Actually, my host brother is getting married! He told the family a couple weeks ago, and it's happening August 23rd. The day before my final exam, but that's okay! They're having a small, civil wedding with just family and BEST friends. Her name is Gabriela, and she's fabulous. I'll get pictures soon--she's quite pretty, and very fun to have around. Lots of personality, and clearly confident in what she does and who she is.

Melo (host brother) speaks English very well, and loves all things American, so Lupe really wants me to sing something at the wedding to surprise them. Her way of asking me was handing me the phone, and on the other line was Melo's friend Juan, who plays the guitar very well. He asked, "so what are we going to sing and play at the wedding?" I said, "huh?" He said, "Lupe says you're going to sing something and I'm going to play the guitar." I stuttered, more than usual, and said I hadn't heard anything about it! I'm contemplating... I'm kind of surprised that they even want me AT the wedding, let alone a part of the deal. We'll see what happens. Lupe and I are going to have a heart to heart tomorrow.

On the topic of music... I'm comfortable enough that I can't help but sing in my room and whistle and hum around the house. Lupe is always thrilled, especially when I sing in spanish, so she gave me the guitar that belonged to her grandson. He moved to Canada and left the guitar! Lupe says, "Mientras estás aqui, ¡es tuya!" (While you're here, it's yours!) Fun, fun. Between that, the wireless internet, and my new favorite book, Middlesex, I'm enjoying my quiet evenings at home.

Other news... my host sister, Diana, returns from a month in New York tomorrow evening! I've spoken with her via the webcam and Windows Messenger, so I'm excited to spend REAL time with her in Quito. She's 20, and attends the same university. I think she'll be a great resource, and it'll be fun to have another 20-something in the house. Chévere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A better home away from home is not possible! Blessings to Lupe and all!