Saturday, August 18, 2007

Princess Diana

That's what I'm calling my host sister from now on...

She arrived last night, from New York, at about 7pm. We picked her up at the airport, and then most of the family in Quito met back at our house for cafecito. She ate a piece of cake, and no more than 30 minutes after being home she took of with the boyfriend. I have quite the cough going, but I hung out with the relatives for a couple of hours before heading to bed. Lupe's uncle just returned from a long trip to Europe, so he spent the night telling stories. Really neat guy--very friendly, quick to laugh and smile, and a good story teller! He was delighted that I understood his jokes.

Today, Anyel and I went for a "run," more of a jog/walk, in the park, and then the fam went out to lunch. Meat, meat, meat, and then some more meat. I think my system is on meat overload these days, and not enough veggies. I eat a lot of fruit, most of which is new to me, but we're shy of vegetables. Salads usually consist of iceberg lettuce, onion, and tomato soaked in vinegar. I told my host dad that I hadn't been eating any meat at school, and very little at home, and he laaaughed. He asked, "How can you have a meal without meat? What do you eat?"

Funny little situation: my host mother works for an environment project and my host father works for the largest petroleum company in Ecuador. Lupe gives me little stickers from work that say "Deja una huella de amor en tu planeta," "Leave a footprint of love on your planet." I've been learning about the damage that petroleum extraction causes in the national parks, and what little effort the companies are making to find a happy medium... funny little situation. We may never get it right, whatever that means!

Off to explore Quito Antiguo con Anyelita.

3 comments:

Chika said...

I'm sort of a latecomer to your blog, but have been enjoying catching up on your adventures! Summer has gone by muy rapido, but I'm glad I get to dig into all your entries and everyone's comments. What a feast!

Kim said...

Hi Larkin,

Hey, we received your postcard! How great to know you're thinking of us. We are regular readers of your blog, I'm sort of like Jeff, I check in with my morning tea. I love being in on your thoughts of the day. In many ways more informative and interesting than letters. What a great invention blogs are.

We just returned from a harrowing trip to Seattle (not really), but it was challenging for us. Got to see Jared and Chika's workplaces and a new sculpture park, along with a ride on the ferry. We made our own blog on the trip so I'll send you the url.

Today we purchased school binders, an inevitable sign that summer is coming to a close and work is ahead. We usually wait until the very, very last minute, but this time we're two weeks ahead and no moaning!

We went to a very funny play at EOU when Rohit was here, Shakespeare's "A Comedy of Errors. It made us all want to go to more community/college productions. Cinderella is coming up the end of August, Ivi and I might be alone in attending that one.

Your school workload sounds as if you're earning every dance outing! What a smart program it is, to challenge you to the max rather than having things too simple. We're all behind your mighty effort to get the most out of this.

Sending our love and admiration.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Meat, politics, Lady Di, cough, Anyelita, possible retirement home or disabled youth projects, interesting twist between Lupe & Marcelo's work - all tasty morsels for thought. Yum. Also am enjoying reading the "comments" because then I know who's up to date with you!