Sunday, August 19, 2007

*Cough*

That wasn't a cough to cover something up or bleep something out. I really do have a cough. I'm blaming the ridiculous amount of pollution that the buses emit--every morning when I cross Shyris (pronounced shitties), I cough, choke, sputter a bit as three or four buses peel away. I don't feel too bad, but I think I've sort of been walking around in a shadow the last few days. Sleep comes two hours at a time, broken up by coughing sprees that last between 10-30 minutes. Not quite funcioning in my normal state, but I still managed to accomplish a lot this weekend.

I think that Princess Diana and I are going to get along just fine. I was short on energy and courage much of the weekend, which got in the way of me making the first effort to be friends and converse. She was also short on energy, but excited to be home and catch up with her boyfriend and the rest of Quito. This morning I asked about the university, and she told me an interesting story about Correa, the president of Ecuador, and his time at the university. I think, I think, I think, she said that he had been a professor of economics, and then the director. I got the impression that he didn't do much, and left at odds with the rest of the university staff. She said they paid him for 1 1/2 years of work that he didn't do, and during his campaign for presidency he said some very negative things about the institution. Something like... if he were elected the university would be no more... something like that. Anyway, the Cevallos family is not very fond of the president, and this might have something to do with it! My professor, however, is very much in favor of his new socialism and hopes he'll make it through the 4-year term. I'm beginning to see a clear divide between liberal and conservative minds in Ecuador.

Lupe, Marcelo, Diana and I went to the grandparents' house for cafecito tonight, and I decided that I would really like to do my service learning at the retirement home, ABEI. I LOVE talking to Jorge and Michita about Ecuador, traveling, "back in the day," and what I want to do with my life. Jorge is very patient with me, and I can see him puff up when I show interest in a story about his youth. I'm still considering another option, but I think that with two classes, two days a week I might be able to do both! The other: a woman bought an apartment to help 4 children with various physical and mental disabilities, and she needs help entertaining and caring for them during the day. I think the experiences would be challenging and fulfilling in very different ways. We'll see what I think after I visit the facilities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shyris = shitties - very funny! Cough not very funny and I hope it's easing up. Now, must go read about Ecuador's president......