What "they" say about immersion is true--this is the only way to learn a language, culture, worldly perspective...
Each night, as I write in my journal, I am blown away by how much I have learned in only a day. I'm picking up new words every day. I'm learning about the culture through the language, the people, and the places that I visit. One item of homework last night was to conduct an interview with a family member(s) about everyday life in Quito, the cultural, economic, political, and social issues, opinions, frustrations, and suggestions for improvement. We were to come to class today with our questions, our notes, and our own opinions and reactions. It's possible that this hour of conversation was the best of my education thus far. We talked about unemployment, underemployment, poverty, discrimination, racism, privileged perspective, the government, quality of life, money, and compared all of those things to what we think we know about the US.
I'm in a class with 4 other young women and a fabulously intelligent and educated professor, also a woman, and we dig in. It was absolutely fascinating to hear what others thought about our economic and social problems in the US, including their opinions of the causes and possible solutions. Some of our ecuadorian family members believe that if people would learn how to spend their money, there would be no poverty. Ecuador has between 9 and 12% unemployment, and about 44-55% are underemployed. The equivalent of government help, if one can get it, is $30 per month. That's $1 a day. I'd like to hear some ideas about how to spend that $1 each day and NOT be poor.
I got to rant a bit in class, so I'll let folks research and encounter opinions of their own. BUT, I will say that this is an incredible way to learn about culture, both abroad and at home. There's a HUGE capitalist influence here, among other things from the US. There's also a huge white culture influence--white models, bleached blonde hair, blue eyes, the whole deal. Fascinating. My host mother continually brings up my green eyes and light brown hair with new acquaintances, and my stomach always churns a little bit when I think about perceptions of beauty around the world.
I'm giving a presentation on indigenous groups for Tuesday's class, and I'm pretty excited to stir things up a bit. There's so much discrimination between racial groups here. I hope my professor continues to jump on those difficult topics so that we have to struggle through it together, in spanish!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I read an article about ACLAS, its teaching philosophy and how it's applied, and from your blog I can tell they do more than preach a good game. They try to integrate all your communication skills, and they believe human values are present in all activities. They also believe group interaction enhances learning, and I think you are experiencing that to the fullest. Keep on absorbing!
Fascinating entry, Larkin....And you are just the kind of person who can handle such discussions. It is a sort of think tank - interaction at it's most challenging moments - or it it? The real challenge doesn't end there, does it? Enjoy the challenge - and I'd say you are!!!!!!
Exactly what you wanted and needed and I'm thrilled that you're getting it! Wow. An incredible opportunity and you're so ready to take full advantage of it. You go, girl! Lotsa love to you.
Post a Comment