Well, I told my family that I eat everything, but I think that might have been an overstatement. Wednesday afternoon I started to get pretty itchy, and by about 7pm I had hive-like spots and swollen body parts. The first day back from las Galápagos, I ran into a friend from school named Maria, and she told me she had chicken pox. So, naturally, the first thing that came to my mind when I was itchy and pocked was that I might have chicken pox! I definitely didn't... checked that off the list when I was younger, but it was a bit traumatic to be having an allergic reaction in Quito. I grabbed my dictionary and looked up three things: rash=sarpullido, chicken pox=varicela, and it itches=me pica. Me pica la cabeza, me pica los brazos, me pica el estomago, me pica las piernas... todo. Mama Lupe said it was probably not chicken pox, gave me a Claritin to take right then, and another to take before bed or in the morning. The next, fabulous symptom was a tight throat and some incredible heart burn. At least, I think it was heart burn. All night long I could feel heat and pressure in my chest and throat, and I don't think I actually slept until about 4am. ¡Pobrecita! I had another breakout Thursday afternoon, and I have decided that the magic ingredient was beets (remolachas). I can't remember the last time I ate a beet in the states, and the only repeat foods from the day before were beets and sweet potatoes.
Because I eventually thought it was funny, I took some pictures. They're up on photobucket, in case anyone is interested in some post-sarpullido laughter.
http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/lark15/
Today, no tengo sarpullido, y todo está bien. Tonight, we´re going out on the town! I just got a call from my new friend, Cris Lanas, and she says she wants to take us out dancing. Tomorrow, we´re going to climb Pichincha! Can´t wait. Should be a great weekend. Off to send all of your postcards... un beso, y un gran abrazo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment