Sunday, October 21, 2007

Weekend Summary

I had an itch to be productive this weekend, mostly because I looked at the remaining weekends and the amount of work to be done in order to be able to enjoy the few that are left. So, I spent Friday hanging out with Mariana and getting started on my homework. I also realized that I have to translate about 10 typed pages of english journaling into spanish so I can turn it in for my Mensajeros project, so after a jaunt in the park and trying my hand at making tortillas de papa for lunch on Saturday, I spent the next few hours re-reading and translating some of the journals from service learning. It was a great reminder of how far I've come emotionally since I started working there, and how much I have already learned from the people in that house. The journals that I have written in english were from the tough days when I felt too overwhelmed to patiently translate my thoughts to spanish, so it was a heavy task. BUT, I'm almost halfway done, and this work will definitely pay off when I have to write my final paper. I have kept great descriptions of each child, and detailed notes of what we do and how well we do it each time. I can't wait to look back in 10 years and remember this experience.

Anyel came over on Saturday to do some homework and eat my leftover tortillas, which actually turned out fairly well. We went to the mall to print our own postcards, so be expecting some original photos de Larkin in the mail in the next two months! It was fun to review all of our photos, laughing about embarrassing moments, and marveling at the beauty of this country. It really is diverse in many senses of the word, not to mention photogenic.

Today, we had been planning to hike around Cotopaxi, one of the national parks nearby. BUT, we got to the train station to find that it is closed until November. So, our hike will have to wait until another Sunday next month. Instead, Anyel came with me and my family to a restaurant in Tumbaco. Behind the restaurant there's a great big concrete pond stocked with Trucha (fish), from which you catch your own lunch! Or at least that's the idea... the five of us sat there for an hour+ and only caught two fish. Dad, you'll be proud of me... I caught both of them!!

Marcelo grabbed one out of the stream when they filled it, per a dare from me, and they let him keep it, so we have three fish to cook for this week. The fishing pole is just a stick with line tied around a nail, a wooden bead for a bobber, and mushy bread for bait. I thought it was kind of a neat idea, even if you really don't have to catch your own fish. Diana is convinced it was only luck that I caught two and she none, but Lupe says she's never letting me leave because I could be useful to have around! I say one is luck, and two is natural Smith talent! Thanks, Pop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lupe, Marcelo, and Diana haven't seen half your talents!