Sunday, November 18, 2007

Taxi Dance

(Translated from Spanish to English)

SCENE opens on a crowded street in Quito, people are laughing and dancing through the mix of bumpin' SUVs and aggressive taxi cars. It's 12:30am. There's salsa coming from a nearby club, reggaetón at the café, and a bad remix of "What is Love?" floating from Chelsea's bar. Three women approach an unoccupied taxi hoping for a ride home.

Larkin: "Good evening. We have three places, one at Inglaterra and Mariana de Jesus, and two others close to Quicentro. How much will that cost?"

ALL: Pregnant pause.

Taxista: "6 dollars."

Larkin, Anyel, Laura: Polite laughter and glances shot around the group.

Larkin: "No, no. We'll pay 3."

Taxista: Shaking of head. Hand back to the steering wheel. "No, no. 3 dollars is too little. At least 5 dollars."

Larkin: Apply stubborn-I'm-not-stupid-I've-done-this-before face. "No. We have gone to these three places for less than 3 dollars before, and with Taximetro it should be 2 dollars. We'll pay 3."

Taxista: Nervous hand movements, shifting from stick to rear view mirror, and back to the stick. "Mariana de Jesus and Quicentro? You can pay 4 dollars."

Larkin: Thinks, "I've got him." Says, "I'm sorry, we'll pay 3." Closes the taxi door and starts to walk away.

Anyel, Laura: Watch to see if the Taxista changes his mind.

Taxista: Opens door. "Okay. Okay. Get in, please."

Larkin: "Three dollars?"

Taxista: "Yes."

Larkin: "Thank you."

SCENE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, you're a tough one! I like it, though only when the three of you are together!