Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Cuy, Round II

Saturday, THE FIRST!, Anyel and I went to Otavalo with Lupe and Marcelo to do our last bit of gift shopping and market perusing before we return to the states. We found a lot more wool work, beanies, sweaters, scarves, shawls, etc, and not as much jewelry or crafty things. We'll all just have to wait to find out what we purchased!

After a couple of hours in the market, we went to a "famous" cuy restaurant to try deep-fried cuy. That's guinnea pig for those who don't remember or haven't read about it. When we visited Mariana's house, we had cuy prepared over a fire, so Marcelo insisted that we try it prepared a different way to really get an idea of whether or not we liked it. So, we partook of the deep-fried fun! We also had a little bit of chicken, the driest I've ever eaten, and I actually preferred the cuy of the two.


I also decided that I'm really going veggie when I get back to the states. Sustainable, easier to prepare, and I'll never have to think about the pig or cow or chicken or guinnea pig being killed while I eat my meal. I might still eat fish, cuz that's so darn fun to catch and prepare.

The fam. Anyel's basically been adopted into our ecclectic family.


Buying choclo (corn) on the side of the road. We had to have something to hold off the hunger while we drove to lunch...

1 comment:

Kim said...

Wow, I am really going to miss this blog. Thank you Larkin, for keeping us all in this adventure with you. And thank all of the lovely people who have opened up their lives and taken you in.

Kim