Thursday, December 20, 2007

Home again, home again, jiggedy jig

I'm on the way!

Mom and Corb and I had a great, tough, long hike to Machu Picchu. We made it back to Cusco safely and generally in one piece (I'll let Mom explain). Lots of pictures to come with more time, and I think I'll save stories for in-person meetings.

All of the flights were delayed out of Cusco and Lima, so it was a long day in the airport on Tuesday. BUT, I arrived in Quito just in time to be whisked away to a goodbye dinner with all of the family. Surprisingly, I had some adrenaline-inspired energy to say my final goodbyes and laugh a bit before heading straight to bed. The whole gang left the house at 5am Wednesday morning, en route to Edmonton, Canada to see Alexandra and family. They'll be in Canada for 3 weeks before Diana starts the next semester at the university. Mariana came for a few hours on Wednesday, so we ate lunch together and I got a great big hug before she left for the day. Other than that, the house was mine to pack and listen to music and clear my head. I decided that I'm absolutely ready to be home, and I am absolutely satisfied with my 5 months abroad.

And now... I wait patiently in the Houston airport with Julia (Laura's sister) and Melany (a friend) for our 3:55pm flight to Portland. We're practically overheating despite the air conditioning, but I have a feeling I'll be chilled to the bone before long. Nevertheless, I'm excited about the comfy things of winter--fireplaces, sweats, warm meals, hot chocolate, and falling asleep on the bean bag chairs in the family room. I also hope some of the nasty storms that might be keeping Dad from getting to Portland tonight are dusting Boise with snow. I'd love to see white lawns and happy neighbors building snowwomen.

And I come bearing gifts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As much as I love the tropics, I sometimes long for winter, with its chilly winds and rainstorms. I am happy you have a taste of it before spring comes and melts it away.

Congratulations on finding peace in your life; what you have seen, what you will see. I think I've found it too.