This is much delayed. Actually, it's nice, because it feels like Spring Break has lasted for weeks!
We had a great time in Berkeley/Oakland/San Francisco (and perhaps some cities in between... people around there like to create arbitrary city lines in order to have distinct communities), and safely journeyed south to the greater metropolitan area that is Los Angeles. We arrived in Venice around dinner time on Wednesday night, threw our stuff down, changed out of our sweats and wandered toward the beach to find some dinner. Sushi! Mags and I shared a ginger martini (delish!) and a few rolls... definitely satisfied.
The next two days were as relaxing as one could possibly imagine. We woke up during prime sunbathing hours, moved to the roof to fall asleep again, read for class, listen to music, eat breakfast, and test our new sunglasses. We found a store in San Francisco that sold shades for $10 each, buy 2 get 1 free. :) For breakfasts we had fresh-squeezed orange or grapefruit juice, strawberries, eggs, bacon, toast, cereal--all things delicious. We snacked throughout the days, took walks along the boulevard, spent some time at the beach, put our toes in the water and decided the surfers were wise for wearing wetsuits. On Friday, Maggie took her basketball to the courts to shoot around while I watched the street acrobats, the same gig that JD and I saw with Corb a few years ago! Somewhere along the way we drove the grocery store, without getting lost, I might add. We did a little bit of homework--Maggie had an interview to transcribe, so I pushed start and stop while she typed furiously, then we'd switch.
Friday night we went back to the sushi place for dinner and to watch the NCAA games on TV. We met a nice guy named Zeus that became our personal tour guide of the Santa Monica club scene. We stopped in at a few places and ended up at a venue with a great DJ. Maggie knows and appreciates hip hop like nobody I know, and she was highly impressed... I was just glad I could dance. :)
Saturday we had some breakfast, cleaned up the condo, and started north again. Our friend, Maggie Hake invited us to stay with her in Marin (SF Bay area). We got there in time to walk the dog, scrounge up some dinner, take showers, and watch the movie version of the first Twilight book. Hooked!
Sunday. Well, Sunday, we drove. And drove. And drove. We made it back to Salem at about 8pm and our break was over. We had watched American Idol on the big screen, drinking limeade margaritas and eating salty snacks. We had laughed til we cried, cried from grief (no kidding, we got some rough news mid-week), talked til we had no more words, danced our socks off, sang Motown at the top of our lungs, and enjoyed each others' silent company.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment