HIP 2010 GRADUATION COMMENTS
Larkin Smith – Course Coordinator
1. We’ll begin with a student who firmly believes in education, and wants to spread that passion and opportunity to youth, starting as young as pre-school children. She always kept us honest in class, bringing humor and a realistic view to any reading. And, she says she’ll knit me a sweater if I’m willing to wait two years. Please join me in welcoming #1.
2. Next, a student who was rather quiet during class, but always had magnificent and smart things to say. She taught me about the value of trusting the young people in our lives, as she and her daughter often worked together on papers for our course. Thank you for your inspiration, #2.
3. This student also brought humor to the room, and may have a future as an art critic as we discovered during our last section. He brought Plato to life, sharing his knowledge of the Origin of Love, and deserves another round of applause for his words tonight. Congratulations, #3.
4. I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know our next student, and especially appreciate his willingness to disagree and push the class to dig deeper into the material. He is a fantastic writer, a careful listener, and will be an asset to any and all classrooms in the future. Please welcome #4.
5. Our next student asks provocative questions and never settles for an easy answer. He has much to teach us about passion and humility, en ingles y en espaƱol. Thank you and congratulations to #5.
6. Next, a student who speaks with confidence, but not arrogance, and has perfected his comedic timing. I am still in awe of this student’s ability to ponder difficult questions of the universe while being one of the most down-to-earth men I’ve ever known. He’s also a great graphic designer! Congratulations, #6.
7. This student’s first reaction to discovering he passed shows a whole lot about his character and zest for life. When I called with the good news, he replied, “That’s awesome! First step toward many, many great things!” And he was right! Please join me in congratulating #7.
8. Our next student almost always beat me to the door at the beginning of class, and never missed a session! One profound memory of this student was after she submitted her second paper; she shared that once she got started the words just kept flowing! I hope she continues to write for life. Congratulations to #8.
9. I will never forget our next student’s reaction to our reading of The Alchemist, because she openly shared her own personal growth in thinking about fate and destiny. She reminds me to take advantage of open doors, and to be thankful for small, every day signs from the universe. Thank you, #9.
10. Next, a soft-spoken beacon of hope and perseverance. This student never missed a class, and never missed an opportunity to grow as a reader and writer. She is a diligent worker, a dedicated friend, and has one of the warmest smiles I’ve ever experienced. Congratulations, #10.
11. Next, a student who always chose his words wisely, and has a talent for making difficult concepts clear. I appreciate his passion for justice, and hope to see his books on the shelves some day soon! Come on up, #11.
12. Speaking of warm smiles, our next student could bring light to the darkest of places, and consistently reminded me that life is good. She shows endless curiosity and a thirst for discovery, not to mention a knack for written and spoken language. Please help me congratulate #12.
13. Our next student shows extreme care for everyone around her, from helping neighbors move to getting surprise gifts for professors and course coordinators. I will never forget the great kindness and care I received from #13.
14. This student showed incredible desire to improve his own skills and learn from other students, and was consistently courageous in class. I always looked forward to an opportunity to learn with him during paper-writing workshops, and before and after class. Congratulations, #14.
15. Our next student provided a calm, centered, and spiritually connected presence in the classroom. She may not realize it, but I think she has a natural ability to heal and inspire others through laughter and genuine care. A huge thank you to #16.
16. Our final graduate makes learning a personal task, which I believe is one of the gifts we receive from learning about the humanities. After reading “Everyday Use,” she exclaimed, “I know this woman,” and helped lead the class through a captivating discussion. It is with honor that I can now say I know this woman, #16.
Holding back a few tears, I'm sure.

The audience (look at all of those family members and compaƱeros!)

Girl Power

Everybody
No comments:
Post a Comment