Wednesday, July 13, 2011

School-To-Prison Pipeline

One of my sheroes has been working on a project to highlight the widespread opportunity gap in US schools, and I wanted to share a couple of links to her podcasts. The third in the series comes out next week.

I also highly recommend anything by Jonathan Kozol - I can only stomach about a chapter per day because it hits so close to home, but it's totally worth the difficult self-reflection and analysis.


The Opportunity Gap


The Cost of Inequity


And... summer school is going really well! We are definitely working with students who need the support before high school, and having a blast doing it. Yesterday we tried to define reading, and decided that we read all day, every day! Body language, commercials, internet, telephones... and once we framed reading in more open terms, students didn't seem as reluctant to pick up a book and try it out.

I also thoroughly enjoyed reading Langston Hughes' "Thank You M'am" with my students. It made for all kinds of ripe discussion.

Hugs. As Maggie says, "Be Well. Do Good Things."

No comments: