#47: "Thanks for helping me. That's the first essay I've ever finished. It's good, huh?" - a senior
#48: At 11:00, nobody wanted to play vocab games. At 11:15, I had just challenged a student to play me in "Slap-A-Word." At 11:30, a vigorous game of "Slap-A-Word" carried on after the bell rang.
#49: "I passed! That's the first time ever. I think it's because you told me it was okay to take my time."
#50: Students have started coming to visit during their breaks and lunches. I ask them to share their "expert" advice with the class, and their peers always listen.
#51: Invitations to have my nails done by students during Teacher Appreciation Week
#52: Honors Dessert & National English Honor Society Induction
#53: Students teaching me how to do the "Cat Daddy" for a music video
#54: Student: "Naw, Miss Smith. I don't read." By the end of our conversation he was taking three books home with him. He read all three over the weekend and scored 90% on the reading quizzes.
#55: Student: "Miss Smith, can I hang out in your class?"
Me: "Well, where are you supposed to be right now?"
Student: "Don't worry about it..."
#56: Playing cards with Lizbeth
#57: I told students the story about catching lizards and feeding them red ants by mistake. One student's response: "I can totally picture little Miss Smith running around, killing lizards."
#58: Willamette Academy first-year students making cards for the graduating class of seniors
#59: Students calling me "The Larkinator"
#60: "Even though I don't want you to care about me, I appreciate everything you do for me."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Larky:
I love these quotable quotes from the classroom. As corny as it sounds, there was a TV program in the 60's called Kids Say the Darnest Things" with a host called Art Linkletter. He was able to solicit unvarnished remarks from kids that were always entertaining. You are clearly mixin' it up in Corvallis.
Post a Comment