Sunday, October 14, 2007

Pichincha, Round II

Mike, our new friend from Washington, invited us to hike Pichincha with him this morning, and we did! We got up much earlier this time and beat the rush, basically having the mountain to ourselves. On the way up we met two spanish ecologists working on a project with la Universidad Central. They were very, very friendly and excited to hear what we thought about their accents.

The hike was tough. Very wet, very muddy, slippery rocks, a hailstorm, very windy, foggy the entire way, but AWESOME! I am so pooped, but so proud to be able to say that we made it to the top. My camera quit about halfway, but I have some neat memories from the first part. Mike had his camera and got the 2nd half, so I hope to share those soon! It took us about 2.5 hours to get to the top, and another 1.5 to come back down. Some parts were terrifying because the rocks were so wet or the trail was slippery with mud, but we made it safely. On the way back down we found a long sandy patch, so we basically slid the whole way. We got to the top and were completely surrounded with fog, so I have no idea what was around us. Still very cool. There was snow! And we saw rabbits! There's something so cool about going hiking/exploring and finding new types of nature and wildlife. I'm excited every time.


Mike with a handful of the first snow we found.


A taste of one of the views.


A little silhouette action--Larkin and Mike.


The first half hour is something like this.


The second half hour is something like this.



Some beautiful new plantlife. The vegetation changes drastically from base to peak. We took the teleferiqo up to about 13,000 feet, and the peak is about 16,000! Or at least that's what one of our traveling friends told us along the way. Maybe some day I'll research it.


My beautiful future housemate, Anyel! She's a natural.


Hard to tell, but this is a neat cave about half way.

No comments: